Wednesday, July 13, 2005

You make a garbage man scream

So I've started reading Shakespeare's "As You Like It". I'm going to go see the play at the Stratford Festival in Ontario, Canada Saturday, and I want to make sure I know whats going on.

So far, so good. This Shakespeare dude rarely lets me down. Julius Caesar was decent and Hamlet is one of my all time favorite plays. Romeo and Juliet on the other hand...

...well lets just say i'm far too much of a cynic to ever really enjoy that play.

Romeo: But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east and Juliet is the sun!

Me: pssst! Juliet! He just wants to get into your pants!

Margaret: Shut up! It's romantic!

Romeo: Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon, who is already sick and pale with grief, that thou her maid art far more fair than she...

Me: Hey, It's okay! Romeo is like eighteen, you're like twelve, but really, I'm sure you totally aren't mistaking your hormones for true love. You've actually spent like an hour in each others presence, so this must be love!

Margaret: Shut UP!


So yeah. I'm not a big fan of that play,(sorry margaret) but I'm excited about seeing As You Like It. Perhaps I'll find that it has a little bit more substance.

I'm in alot better mood today. A bit tired, but sleep is over-rated anyways. Dancing with Meg and Jessie to Beck, swimming, getting bug bites on my face, speaking/being made fun of in french, watching Tommy Boy and laughing so hard when David Spade starts vacuuming moths that I started crying is always good fun.

Plus, Thursday I'm going to The Demos concert!

I need to start making the rounds, seeing everyone I need to see before I go off to college. I only have a few more weeks left!

Creepy...

Until Later,

Sondra

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've only ever known one Juliette that i can think of... and her pants were definitely get-into-able...
But, I think she probably wanted another girl in her pants if you know what I mean...

meg said...

...

Alison said...

I'll be interested to hear about the substance to be found in the Barenaked Ladies version of As You Like It...

Unknown said...

It's ALL about the Titus Andronicus. I highly recommend the Julie Taymore film "Titus" starring Anthony Hopkins, because it is delectably good.

Sondra said...

I once saw Titus Adronicus performed as a cooking show...

Sondra said...

I don't know where people come from when saying that Harry Potter is evil.

I've only read the first book and half of the second, but I thought if anything there were Christian undertones in the book.

Slitherin=Snake=What tempted Adam and Eve=Devil

Gryffindor=Lion=Symbol for Christ

If you look at The Chronicals of Narnia they also have Christian undertones, but there is also 'magic' and 'witchcraft' in those books also.

I wonder if the Pope himself has read these books... would he read something he felt was 'evil' to get a better understanding of it or would he just condone it from what he's heard?

Sondra said...

Just remember, that's just my opinion.

I wouldn't go calling someone a religious bigot just because they don't like Harry Potter. I'm sure there is more to the argument than we both think.

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of reasons why Harry Potter sux. None of which are religious in any way. Mainly its that it is written in such an obvious, straightforward manner that anyone should be able to figure out exactly what is coming next with so little suspense filling up so much room that the pages are nearly clear.
The popularity is really quite astonishing.
Whats with the advertising, LaBona? Not getting enuf blog-traffic? Unless you're so fanatical in your opinion about Harry Potter that you either need the argument beaten down, or want to prove its right... why are you posting this in someone else's blog?
Perhaps you and Sondra are friends, in which case I suppose its fine. Also if Sondra was really against it, she wouldve deleted the comment.
Incidentally, C.S. Lewis was a devout catholic and has many many very nice religious-themed quotes attributed to him. My favorite is:
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.

Sondra said...

yeah...the advertisting thing was kinda annoying.