Sunday, July 10, 2005

Squids and such

This entry is for all of you knitting gurus out there:

I need your help!

I'm knitting this squid for my friend Meg as a thank you gift for giving Knitting In Public a new design:


I've seen a preview of the blog, and it's awesome. Don't worry, you'll all get to see it soon enough. It's so awesome, so this needs to be one kickass squid.

I have no pattern, and the squid that is for sale is crocheted, but I figured I could make it myself easily enough.

But alas, things aren't that simple.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this, or has patterns similar to this adorable squid, it would be most appreciated.

What I need help on most are these things:

1. How do I make the bottom for the squid? I'm going to stuff it, so the bottom needs to come last, and I have no idea how to knit a disk

2. I was planning to do an I-cord for the tenticles, but does anyone have any idea how I can make the i-cord go in a spiral as seen in the picture?

I guess thats about it... If you have anything to add that might help me, just leave a comment.

Until Later,
Sondra

p.s. Meg- Would you prefer a dark blue or light pink squid?

Note: The Squid design I am knitting is not original at all. I found the crocheted squid on http://dream-and-sugar.net and decided to knit my own version. If you care to have one of Erin's lovely squids/octopi, just visit her website.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call me and I'll help you.

I'm just down the street. jeez!

~Margaret

meg said...

pink

Anonymous said...

Boo Eddie Izzard.
Yay ... comedians without such a thing.
At first I thought i liked comedians with a thing, you know, like a gimmick... not that kind of thing, get your mind out of the thing. Er, I mean gutter.
Emo Philips has a thing, that ridiculous obviously on purpose accent that goes UP and down
Bobcat Goldthwait - again, ridiculous voice and mannerisms.
Most black comedians - racist shock-comedy
Even to some extent I'm tired of Steven Wright's schtick. I love his humor, but when i saw him live, it became so apparent that it was an act that it lost a lot of its magic.
I guess that was off-topic, but no one would read it if i posted it 3 posts back, and all i know about knitting is "knit one, purl two"

Sondra said...

Hurah! I keep on forgeting that I have a wonderful knitting source just down the street.

I just frogged the squid so it will be a few days before I actually need help...

I'm looking forward to calling you up! I haven't seen you in so long!

Isn't John home from Morocco now?

Anonymous said...

knitting a disk: knit in the round on dpns or two circulars--cast on the number of stitches to make the circumference, and then decrease as needed. Fr'example, if you start with 84 stitches and need to get to 4 and you've got 6 inches in which to do this, then you decrease...that many times.

spiral i-cord: I know I've seen such a thing but damned if I know how it works. Perhaps a curling iron or rollers?

Mmmmmm...Brody.

Coloratura said...

oh my god, I love your squid!

Anonymous said...

1) Please ask if you would like to use any of my product images before taking them.
2) IF I give you permission to use my images, save them to your own server.
3) Please contact the designer of this item and request permission to use images of their item, and answer any questions you have about constructing a similar item.
( http://pepperberry.shim.net )
4) You can always buy the item from me or Pepperberry Crochet to get a better idea of how it was made.
5) Please do not ever sell items you have blatantly copied from other designers.
6) And PLEASE give credit where it is due.

Erin
http://dream-and-sugar.net