Sunday, July 24, 2005

It's All In The Genes, Baby!

A picture of my Dad when he was my age. I saw it and started laughing so hard that I started to cry. It simply defies everything I know about him. Dad? A Hippie?



I guess it just goes to show that the crazy hair is in the genes.

Happy 50th Birthday, Dad! (even though he doesn't read my blog)







Today was lovely. I finally got to see my best friend's new appartment!!! It's very cool, and I hope things work out for her. What? Friends with their own place? Does this mean I'm growing up?

Shoot.

I got to hear all about the summer courses she's taking, and even got to help with an essay about "Lower Educational Standards in the South".

"Oh. I just figured out why there aren't any more dinosaurs. Noah couldn't fit them all on the arc."



Anyways, It was great seeing her. Sometimes I get introverted and forget that I have such awesome friends to hang out with, and end up shutting myself up in my room and listen to music/read/think.

Hey, I'm curled up inside my Fluffy Orange Comforter of Luuurve, incense going, jazzy French music in the back-ground and a great book- I tend to forget life exsists beyond my beloved hideaway.

On the plus side, I'm almost half way through "Life of Pi", and I absolutely love it so far. I can tell already this is going to be one of my all time favorite books.

India is described with such love and detail, I feel as if i've been there myself.

It reminds me of a similar author, Michael Ondaatje. He wrote The English Patient, but I'd recommend In the Skin of a Lion. Everything is described to the smallest detail in his books from a young boy studying moths, mapping lovers bodies, immigrant bakers and the Sahara.

"The grooves and the
corrugated sand resembles the hollow of the roof of a dog's mouth".


If I could only write like that. I like what this one woman says about one of Ondaatje's books.

"This is a book which should be read slowly and preferably aloud. In this highly recommended piece of literature we are taken on a sensual exploration of place and people. It is worth savoring the language which evokes the taste, touch, sight, sound and smell of the characters who are inextricably bound up with their own geographical and human journeys."

Whoever said books can't be sexy was dead wrong.

Until Later,

Sondra

4 comments:

Sondra said...

James- an explanation for you on the previous post's comments.

San Nakji said...

I am sure no one said books can't be sexy because I would have to beat them to a bloody pulp...

Anonymous said...

Oh... i might be crazy, but i'm not that crazy... i'll prove it. give me your phone number and address and i won't even go there and peep in through your window. That will prove i'm not a stalker.
I couldnt find the quote you're looking for, but i got this for ya:
I think that i will never look, at anything as sexy as a book.
A book whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the reader's sweet flowing breast;
A book that looks at God all day,
And lifts her pagey arms to pray;
A book that may in Summer wear
A nest of bookmarks in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fool or schnook,
But only God can make a book.

There ya go, gorgeous.
;)

Sondra said...

No, I haven't read The House of Spirts- It sounds like yet another book to add to my list.

I love the way Ondaatje writes. There are certain elements that weave all the way through the book.

It seems like he has all of these inside anecdotes that he's scattered throughout the book. I keep on re-reading it, and keep on finding more and more levels.

I'd like to go hear him speak someday and see what was going through his mind.