Thursday, July 14, 2005

Cartesian Dualism, Anyone?

Hair beware:

on the 27th you shall be chopped off!

And I shall sing and dance.

But not now. It's too hot out.

Blaaaaaaah.

I finally got the list of courses offered at AU. I'm very excited about it all, there are so many classes I want to take. I yelled with joy when I saw the description of 'Ethics'.

Ethics-
An attempt to understand the fundamental human alternatives in the wake of the moral skepticism of our age. Traditional answers to the question "What is the good life?" will be examined by reading selected philosophers from Plato to Satre.

Crap. I'm going to be a Philosophy major aren't I?

Yay for Majors that offer no other jobs but teaching it to other future professors!

Maybe I'll find something else to do with it other than teach it. Perhaps I could just open up a yarn shop and talk about Descartes.

I knit, therefore I am?

I'll just keep my options open...

Psychology, Creative Writing, French, Women's Studies...possibly Political Science.

Don't worry, I'll change my mind billions of times before I decide... and then I'll change my mind again.

Until Later,

Sondra

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to go take some philophy courses once i have a career. Or possibly when i'm retired.
Until then, I see myself having tonnes of better things to learn. Stuff that could benefit my life.
But, thats just me, don't take it as any kind of attack on ur interests.

Sondra said...

No, I know what you mean. Philosophy is one of those things that is fun to think about...

...but not incredibly useful.

Sadly, Plato does not pay the rent.

Unknown said...

I took ONE philosophy course during my seven year tenure at the University of Calgary.... PHIL 249: Ethics... and these are the things I learned.

1) Pretentious people LOVE this class (which does not mean to imply that everyone in the class is pretentious)

2) It's fun to watch pretentious people bluster and whine when you completely dismantle their argument by using their own philosophy against them.

3) There is NO right or wrong, simply opinion.

4) You can skip the classes for a month and a half, come back, and realize that they (the class) are STILL arguing about the same thing.

The only thing I TRULY learned is that there are totally HOT girls whom you can have intellectual conversations with... AND they love to play videogames... but, then again, that may have just been the odd one out.

Anonymous said...

I took one philosophy course in University actually, and it was the best course I ever took. Theres no other course where I wish i could remember more exactly everything we learned.
Philosophy 279 - Logic.
Logic and Philosophy may seem to butt heads, but I guess you could say Logic falls under the category of a philosophy.
Naturally you can't prove logic works with anything but logic, so you can't say for sure that its proven, so it is a theory - or a philosophy.
Anyway, we learned about how to construct sentences into logical statements and definitively prove things one way or the other... and it was good.