Saturday, July 02, 2005

Last Chance

I'm currently reading a book Jessievich lent me, Last Chance To See, by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine.

Adams wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as I'm sure you all know.

Mark Cardwardine is a zoologist which Adams travels with around the globe for a good part of a year, visiting endangered animals all around the globe.

I love it, its a wonderful book and all should read it.

Komodo Dragons live in Idonesia on the island Komodo (surprise). There are more poisonous snakes per square meter of groud on Komodo than on any equivalent area on earth.

When visiting Dr. Struan Sutherland who had devoted his entire life to poisionous snakes, but was much more interested in hydroponics, the Doctor proffered one solution for such a deadly island:

"Don't get bitten in the first place. And don't come running to me if you do because you won't get here in time and anyway I've got enough on my plate."

The book has offically convinced me that I never never never want to meet a Komodo Dragon. They can be 12 feet long and stand three meters tall. Just their salavia can kill a man because the bacteria in it will never let your wound heal.

Wonderful book. I can't wait to finish it and then stay the heck away from Labuan Bajo.

Today was a lovely day. I slept in. I picked strawberries. A little girl sat down next to me and said

"This looks like the perfect spot to pick strawberries."

Adorable. I love children.

Her father was trying to get her and her brothers to sit in one spot and start picking strawberries, but that was simply impossible with them constantly yelling

"I have five strawberries! How many do you have?!"

and

"Whoah! Look at this one! Its HUGE!"

and

"I found a gold mine! WOAH!"

When I have babies, I'll take them to pick strawberries every summer.

I love summer.

Fireworks soon.

Hopefully Meg's new blog design for Knitting In Public even sooner. But first she has to stop poverty and AIDS first. Gotta love her.

Until Later,
Sondra

No comments: