Monday, July 11, 2005

How can I help you, The Man?

So I spent the day looking for a summer job.

And I sold out. Multiple times.

I had gotten a job at a local salad place earlier, but a few weeks ago I got a call from the owner that went something like this:

"Um...yeah. You know how I told you to come in Friday? Well, I really don't need you now. A girl who used to work here came back and well...she doesn't have a job, so I hired her. Sorry to do that to you. If I need you later on I'll call you."

So now after basically being laid off, I need a new job. I hate searching for jobs, and I hate interviews. A little voice in my head keeps on singing "You're selling out, you're selling out".

But I guess you have to get over that little voice if you actually want to support yourself.

The first job was good. I liked the people I worked with and because it was locally owned, I didn't feel like I was selling my soul to a corporation or anything.

But now that I don't have that job, all thats really left is big chains. I applied at Brusters (ok, thats not so big and they sell ice cream), Brugers Bagels, Jo-Anns (hey if I'm gonna become a corporate stooge, I might as well get discounts off of fabric and knitting stuff), Dibellas (a sub shop) and Target.

I took a course in culinary arts in high school, so I'm hoping that will help with the jobs relating to food. This type of thing comes in handy when looking for a job. Plus, now I make damn good cookies. Just ask Meg and Jessie. (Are these the cookies with liquid inside?!)

For the target thing, I probably would get a job working at the Starbucks inside. Yes, I said Starbucks. Yes, the very same corporation hated by millions of local coffee shops everywhere.

Hopefully I would be too hyped up on caffine to ever hate myself.

But we'll see.

Needless to say, I'm not in a very good mood right now.

So I'm going to go knit some more on Meg's squid. It's comming along swimmingly.

Until Later,

Sondra

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Job hunting blows goats.

It's all about who you know though, and it sucks that thats the way it is. EVERY job I've ever had, I got because I had inside connections.....

Wait, that summer I worked for Heritage Park as an actor. That I got on talent alone. But that's a seperate case.

Anonymous said...

well, i would highly advise applying at Google - the hotel and meal tickets alone would be worth it!

thats assuming you get to that point tho ;)

meg said...

wait- so there's a starbucks in Target and Barnes and Noble.. which are right NEXT to each other.. man, someone was a dumbass.
I cannot find a job anywhere! Webster sucks. And also what sucks is that I cannot drive. I totally wish there were smaller stores. We can't help it man, our TOWN is a sellout. (but I don't really think it counts if its a highschool job.. we have no choice!)
I always run into the problem that whatever place is hiring at the moment has the biggest assholes I know as employees.
And the art store only hires people over 18. smelly stupid art freaks. I LOOK 18.* no one would know! and I know my pencils.

*Last week someone told me I looked 25 and started hatching a plan that involved me and beer. and me buying the beer. I thought it was a bit.. drastic.


wow. this is long.
humans: this is what we need.
I live in the middle of nowhere/old people.
I'm riding my bike to your house tomorrow, ok? I will be sweaty. just a warning.