Thursday, July 28, 2005

I Pull An Elle Woods

Last night was fun. It was my Dad's 50th birthday party, and I got to have lots of interesting conversations. Some people were familiar, some not so much. People would come up to me and say "Oh my God! Is that Sondra? I remember when you were a little baby! You're so grown up now!"

I got to see John, who I hadn't seen in ages and got to hear all about Morocco. I lended him "Carnet De Voyage", and was thrilled to find that he recognized alot of the drawings in it.

I also had a really interesting conversation with Laura, my cousin Allan's fiancee. I'm not exactly sure what that would make her... cousin, right? Anyways...

She asked me about college and what I wanted to do. I really don't have much of a clue right now, so I just shrugged my shoulders and said that I was planning on taking a few liberal arts classes and see where it leads. I love humanities and philosphy, but that stuff isn't very practical or easy to find a job in. I was kinda leaning towards maybe something in Psychology, but it's just really a whim right now. I said that one time I took one of those 'career path' computer programs in high school, and was shocked to find out that my result was 'drug addictions councilor'. My friends were amused, but some also agreed that they find me easy to talk to. Regardless, I want to end up helping people.

"Have you ever thought about being a lawyer?" she asked.

"What?! Me? A lawyer? HaHA! No way! No! I mean, I could never do that, I'd go on this huge guilt trip every time I had to put someone in prison or worse, to death. No way. I don't even eat meat, how could I ever make something like that my job?!"

"Well, there are alot of other things you could do with a law degree. You could go into Family Law. You could help alot of people there. Maybe Immigration Law? Think about how much you could help people navigate the system there. And it's really not as impossible as so many people think. Sure it's hard, but so is everything else. And people will always need lawyers. I have a friend who is a lawyer, and it's certainly not hard to be able to find work."

"I don't know. I've never thought of myself as a future lawyer. I'm not competetive at all, I'm not really hard nosed or anything, or malicious, or especially driven by money."

"But think about it, you could change all of those sterotypes and help so much people. Doctors are the same way. I hated alot of the pre-med people I went to school with. They were snobby book types. So many doctors are not the type of doctors you want to be dealing with. If I spend 10 minutes with people in the E.R., trying to help them out and find their way, they're so surprised and grateful. It's the only way you can change how doctors are, to act like how a doctor should act."

---

So now I'm playing with the idea. I'm not saying I'll be enrolling in a Pre-law school now, but it's something to consider. I've always sort of felt that I could do well at alot of things, it was just a matter of finding something. Law is definitely something. It applys to most issues I'm passionate about, and I could help so many people. I'll keep in the back of my mind for a year, and see how I feel about it then. Not something to be really flakey about.

I wouldn't be too thrilled at the idea of working in a traditional office all of the time, but perhaps it would also be quite possible to work for enviromental or feminist groups which would provide a much more modern/laid back atmosphere.

Ah, the inner hippie comes out. I could write poems after my victory of saving wetlands.

Ahem. "Nobody sits like this rock sits. You rock, rock. The rock just sits and is. You show us how to just sit here and that's what we need." (if you don't know where thats from, go rent i heart huckabees NOW!)

The thing that surprised me the most was when I brought it up to my Dad later that night. He actually took it as something plausible. He almost never does that. Never. Normally he'll say something like- "Well, you'd need better grades for that" or just kind of smile in a way that I find infinitely annoying, as if to say 'how cute, you say you want to be an astronaut?'

I just thought it was that he had a bit too much wine (which is still possible), but when I brought it up to my Mom at breakfast, she seemed to agree with it too. Given, that's like the greatest thing you could tell your parents.

"Mom, Dad, I want to go pre-law." It goes over much easier than "Mom, Dad, I want to be a conceptual artist." Unless, of course, your parents are conceptual artists themselves.

Joseph Bueys probably wouldn't be thrilled by the idea of a child of his decided to go off to law school. "What do you mean, pre-law?! Why can't you just be normal and display upside down urinals at art galleries?!"

But it was nice to catch their attention. I just need to give this some time and think about it.

"Hey, you could even go into Medical Law! Help doctors out when their sewed for mal-practice? Huh? What do you think?"

Now I see where her true intentions lie. Sneaky, that Laura.

Until Later,

Sondra

7 comments:

meg said...

OH MY GOODNESS! doing things tonight? I vote movie night, if you aren't. Some Huckabees, Rocky Horror, maybe a little Brazil? We will see where the video store brings us....

meg said...

oh and also, the lawyer thing could be fun... but you have to go to lots of SCHOOL! You can do lots of things with a law degree though.. You can even be an FBI Special Agent! oooh! or even better: a wild life Special Agent! (see this handy list: http://law.loyno.edu/career/newsite/resource/pdf/altcar/altcar.pdf)

(this reminds me of that time I told my parents, after 6 years of wanting to be an astrophysisist, that I wanted to be a graphic designer...)

Sondra said...

Wild Life Special Agent, huh?

STOP! TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF OF THE RACCOON!

I think I might do very well at this.

And yeah, I was thinking about your whole astrophysicist to graphic designer thing today... my transition (if it happens) will be a bit easier though. ambiguity/philosphy major/art student/psychology major to pre-law.

meg said...

actually, that transition was fairly easy too. I mean think about it: large can the job market be for astrophysicists?

Anonymous said...

You and I mustve rented different I ♥ Huckabees
The only thing i remember from that movie is the blanket is everything, and that incredibly painful looking sex bent over that log.
that poor woman. And that movie was terrible. Some guy who saw someone three times... tries to find meaning in it and surprisingly fails... and then ends up banging this french chick in the mud... how is that a movie?
In other news, i'm awarding you the
First Annual James Dean Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Incredibly long Blog Postings award!
My friend took the LSAT, and the prep courses for it, and he barely managed an average score. The tests are incredibly logic based, and he's a man, so I can't imagine how a woman could ever get in >;)
Also, unless you're gonna be a lawyer in Texas, you're not likely to put someone to death, nor do you have to take the case anyway.
Theres plenty of more "banal" lawyer jobs though, Real-Estate Lawyer for example...

Sondra said...

Excuse me? How would a woman do on the LSAT? I'm sure perfectly fine, thank you very much. There are lots of women who take the LSATs and become perfectly decent and very competent laywers. You just said that because you knew it would fucking piss me off. Good job.

And I ♥ Huckabees was a freaking awesome movie, one of my favorites of the year. There was a lot more to the movie than the incredibly painful looking sex scene (which was hillarious anyways) and the blanket.

"I'm in my tree and the dixie chicks are making me feel better."

Petroleum, for example. And the Sudanese guy. I thought it was all wonderfully hillarious.

Perhaps you just couldn't appreciate the humor.

Now I want to go watch it again.

Sondra said...

Haha! That actually is kind of a cool coincidence.

Perhaps you should hire two existential detectives to figure this one out?

And hey, if that doesn't work, you could always try hitting yourself in the head with a giant ball.