Sunday, July 17, 2005

As You Like It

So I just got back from Canada.

I was there seeing the Stratford Festival's "As You Like It".

It was cute, enjoyable, though sometimes a bit confusing.

I've seen other productions at Stratford like the "The King and I", which had phenominal costumes and set.

"As You Like It", however was very minimalist. Can anyone explain to me why there were umbrellas hanging above everyone the whole play?

I was a bit disapointed, they could have done so much more to the set than just umbrellas and ladders.

But other than that, it was a decent play. Steven Page from the Barenaked Ladies wrote the songs for the play. I was a bit worried the music would be over the top, involve girls in go-go boots (since it was set in the 60's and have an avid hate in all things Andrew Lloyd Webber) and be more like a musical. *Shudder*. But fortunately it was not. Most of the songs were fairly subtle, and the ones that were not just made the play more enjoyable. Steven Page's voice softly crooning from the inside of a night club. Joy. I'm a nerd.

For those who don't know, I have a very big crush on Steven Page's voice. Not Steven Page, not the Barenaked Ladies- Steven Page's voice. In fact, contrary to popular belief, if I had to make a list of my 20 top favorite bands ever, Barenaked Ladies would not even be in that category.

Maybe his voice, but not the band.

But Stratford was lovely. A bit rainy, but lovely. We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast owned by the sweetest old lady in the world. We had an amazing dinner served by incredibly hot guys. One, I swear looked just like Sondre Lerche, but with darker hair. And a lip ring. The lip ring was a bit emo...but I really didn't care. A guy wearing girl pants is also emo, but also quite wonderful.

I kept on drinking all of my water so he would go fill it. He probably thought I had diabetes or something. Or that I was freakishly dehydrated. But I didn't care. He was beautiful.

La La La.

Until Later,

Sondra

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thing you provided that map of Canada, I had no idea to what you were referring!
and isnt it clear? the umbrellas represent the always impending rain of doom
its bill shakespeare!

meg said...

so sad that you never got to see the boys at the atomic eggplant.... : (
I wanted to post something in here, but it involved photographs and did not work, so I made it into a post on my blog. which i did not want to do... ah well...