Monday, August 01, 2005

My Face Hurts

So then.

I am back from camping, and I have survived more or less.

A bit sunburned, which is totally ridiculous because I used SPF 60 all week. I swear, the sun is out to get me.

"What's this? An extremely pale girl who looks terrible with a tan? She thinks she can stop me with truckfulls of sunscreen?! BUAHAH! Have a taste of my UV rays!!! SKIN CANCER-ED!!!"

Despite the sunburn, I generally enjoy camping. The whole going with Parental Units was a definite drawback, but meh, what can ya do?

My favorite part of camping is hiking. I love hiking, which is strange because I hate most types of formal exercise. I love hiking up steep hills in the middle of a shady forest and getting lost in my thoughts. Sometimes I feel like it's one of the few times I can really ponder. All sorts of thoughts, lovely and horrible, beautiful and ugly, deep and shallow thoughts.

I finished "Life of Pi" while camping, so I was able to think alot about that. I loved the book. Pi Patel. Richard Parker. I loved it all.

I wondered why I keep things about myself a secret for so long. I'm not sure why I do that. Perhaps it's simply that things don't come up in conversation, but It's probably a bit more than that. A friend asked me a question about my appendix scar a little while ago. I realized that I had known her for a year, the other friend for two years, and I had never talked about it.

There are so many things that are in our past that are part of who we are. So much past that it's almost an impossible task to try and explain it all to our current friends. It's not like we walk up to people and say "Hi, my name is Sondra, let me tell you why I hate the taste of marshmallows...", but I wonder, after two years, that maybe I'm also hiding part of myself.

I could start explaining things now, but I need to leave that for an entire entry, not just part. For a good rainy day.

I thought about university, and all the lovely people I hope to meet there.

I thought about love and what it means to me.

I thought about the idea of living in the early 1900's, and how it would be funny to be considered the 'super-model' of the time, being pale, aerodynamically curvaceous, small waisted and short-ish. Then I remembered girdles and the total lack of women's rights, general ignorance of modern day medicine and decided against building a time machine.

I thought about how beautiful nature is, and wondered if aliens landed on earth today, would they think nature was beautiful too?

Anyways...

I'm so glad to be back at home.

I'm going to put something on my sunburn and take a nap.

Until Later,

Sondra

3 comments:

Sondra said...

It was all so good. I loved the part with the 'three wise men'. "I just want to love God!"

The trees/algae were freaky though. The blind man part made me think of stories like the Odessey. Did anyone else see the connection?

This is dificult, I want to discuss the book but I don't want to give it all away.

meg said...

(I want to move to 1950. When women wore cool bathing suits and were normal sized. There is that sitting at home and caring for your husband and children bit... but I plan on being a weird-o immoral self-thinking sex-fiend or something. maybe an actress. that would all fall into place then.)

meg said...

SONDRA! Can you drive to the city? Record Archive + you, me, amy, jessie= Communism

(and also lakeshore. i enjoy lakeshore)