Friday, April 28, 2006

gushing

You know, I think things are pretty good.

It's pleasant outside. Right now the lawn all around campus is being cut, and giving off that delicious summer grass smell. It's one of those smells that instantly remind you of running around barefoot, playing tag or cowboys and indians.

The year is coming to an end. I can't believe it, it seems like ages ago when my parents said their final goodbyes and left me standing in front of my dorm. I remember feeling so exhilarated, so nervous, so uncertain.

I don't know how, but things just clicked.

I feel really accomplished, I feel like I've done a pretty good job with dealing with my new surroundings. I've really learned a lot about myself, and I think ultimately that's one the best thing you can do for yourself. To be perfectly honest, I'm not positive AU is right for me. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the best place for any major I'm considering and it wouldn't be terrible to find a place that challenges me even more with less expense. There are still things I'm not sure of or happy with but those things are relatively small problems in the whole grand scheme of things.

It's amazing how immature things were in High School. If nothing is really expected of you, then of course you're going to be a pissy teen that doesn't do anything. We dismiss the abilities of children/teens, yet wonder why they don't do anything right.

In High School they don't let you get mad. They tend to frown upon getting passionate about a subject. The general expectation is that you conform and try not to stab anyone. I love it how my professors here not only encourage free passionate discussion, they themselves get riled up right along with you. I found a great Gloria Steinem quote- "The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."

I really like this feeling that I can truly do anything I put my mind to.

Soon, back to Rochester.

Until Later,

Sondra

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hurray for the currently happy Sondra!
*braces for tomorrow!*
;)