Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Vagina Monologues

What better way to spend v-day with V-Day?

Last night I went to go see The Vagina Monologues. It started originally as Eve Ensler's one woman show, on campus it was performed by maybe 15 or so women.

Let me tell you, it was fantastic.

It made you laugh then cry, then cry then laugh again.

That sounds so cliche, but its true.

Unfortunately in the first 5 minutes of the play, the fire alarm went off. My friend Charity was on stage in mid-sentence when lights started to flash and the buzzer went off. Everyone was out in the cold for almost an hour. I was sure at least half the audience would leave but when we got back in I was pleasantly surprised a good majority of people stayed. It was definitely worth the wait.

So many issues were raised, spoke of things i'd never heard a conversation about, made me think in a different way. Some stories I could connect to instantly, some empowered, some I was in shock, others made me angry at injustices done.

I'm really glad I went. Not only do I insist you go if it's playing near you, I suggest you go out and find it yourself if it's not.

Until Later,

Sondra

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Now now now, if you see one show this year, it shoudl clearly be the show I wrote and directed

meg said...

Meh. My own vagina speaks in tomes. Mostly about boys.

(I need to talk to you about ____)

Anonymous said...

talking vagina syndrome? i think u can get a cream for that